Thursday, May 15, 2008

Booking Through Thursday : Manual Labor Redux

Following up last week's question about reading wrriting / grammar guides, this week, we're expanding the question...

Scenario : You've just bought some complicated gadget home...do you read the accompanying documentation? Or not?

Do you ever read manuals?

How-to books?

Self-help guides?

Anything at all?

Well well, i must admit that I don't like manuals. Usually I just try everything until it works;o) And in the worst case, when nothing works, I read the user manual. To tell the truth, I've had a digital camera for nearly a year, and when a friend asked me if how I could take black and white pictures, I said 'I can't'. We looked everywhere in the camera. And last month, I just discovered how I could do it, just like that. I was just pushing the buttons;o)

I'm not the kind to read self-help books either, and I don't think I had ever one in my hands.

But I like How-to books, well mostly concerning creative applications, just like how to sew, how to make your own doudou (I don't know the word in english, you know fluffy toys, teddys), ...
And I also bought a book about the CSS language, because I wanted to see how I could do things on my blogs. It's a collection called 'pour les nuls', kind of for the dummies. When I opened the book I didn't understand anything, I must really be a dummy, but I just tried directly on the computer. Of course I made a safe copy of how it was before I started. And I learned just like that. No need for books;o)

1 comment:

Peta said...

So much more fun to learn by trial and error! I did a similar camera thing - I was very envious of someone else who had fireworks/night/sunset/etc settings and it took me about a year to discover I did too. Doh.

In response to your question - yes, hypnosis works but only if you actually want to give up smoking :D I "did" Alan Carr a few years before and stopped for a couple of months before lapsing but am pretty comfortable that the hypnosis is going strong. I went to an NLP practitioner if that's of any use?