Thursday, April 15, 2010

My soul to take - Rachel Vincent

***

Genre : Fantasy, Young Adults

Series : Soul screamers : My soul to take

American publisher : Harlquin Teen : 9,99$

English publisher : Hodder Paperbacks : 7,99£

Something is wrong with Kaylee Cavanaugh

She doesn't see dead people, but...

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next...

What I think

I discovered this book on Word for teens by Nicole B., then I decided to buy it to participate to the 2009 Harlequinades organized by a french blogger, Fashion.

I wasn't disappointed. I love fantasy, and I love novels for young adults, despite my old age. This book is a really good choice.

Well I'll start with the hot guy, Nash. I'm in love with him... It isn't as intense as with other hot guys in books, but it's interesting;o)

Kaylee is in a disco with her best friend when she meets the hottest guy in school, Nash. But then, she panicks when she sees a girl with a dark shadow. Kaylee manages not to scream, but she can't do anything else. Nash and Emma help her. When she's calm, Kaylee announces the near death of the young girl. Then begins a strange story. Three days in a row girls die mysteriously without apparent reason. But Nash knows something, and explains to Kaylee what exactly she is., and what he is. They're not humans... (spoilers following for those who want to know)

The topic is original. No vampires, or werewolves. A new subject treated with talent. Under this fantasy appearance, there is a good plot, kind of an investigation. Kaylee and Nash are trying to discover what's going on, why healthy girls drop dead suddenly while they were not supposed to die.

I learned a new myth too, an Irish myth, the Bean Sidhe, or Banshee. I really liked it. And I discivered the Grim Reapers too, or Death, but there is not only one, but many, like a very big company, with bureaucrats, and time shifts and all that...

The characters are well described and are not superficial. Kaylee has a strong mind, but doesn't really understand what's going on. Nash ** sigh**, Nash is...interesting. I'll tell you a little story. I knew from the begining that Nash was hiding something. I read all evening, always saying "one more chapter before bed!". And then it was 1.45 am, and I needed to wake up at 6.30, so I stopped, but here is the last line I read : " I have to tell you something. I'll pick you up in ten minutes". NOooooooooooooooooooo! That is so cruel! Well I know that I could have continued, ten minutes more were no big deal anymore!

Well I finally discovered what his secret was;o)

It is a Harlequin Teen, so you know that there is some romance in the air. Kaylee and Nash of course. It won't take long, we know it and it's done.

I already bought My soul to save, the second book in the series...

***SPOILERS***

As I said the topic is original, no vampires, no werewolves, no angels either, but Bean Sidhe, I translate for those who don't know Gaelic, they are banshees. To be honest I knew the word Banshee (because I love The Cure, and Robert Smith played with Siouxie and the Banshees), but I didn't know what they were. So before I entered deeper in the book, I made a bit of research, I paid a visit to wiki, because I didn't want to stay behind. But no worries because everything in the book is clear.

In the Irish mythology, a Banshee is a woman who cries when death's coming and sing for the dead.

We also find the myth of Grim reapers. There are thousands of them. Because Death is a big company, ruled by bureaucrats, executed by Grim Reapers, each one of them has his field and hours of work. each has a list for these 12 hours a day, and the souls have to be given to their boss otherwise they'll be eliminated. Because Grim Reapers are recruited, after they die, it gives them a chance to stay in this world. But if they don't obey and don't do their mission, they risk to be fired from their job, but also from this world.

No comments: