Saturday, April 17, 2010

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

**

Genre : Fantasy, Young Adults

Series : The Wolves of Mercy Falls : Shiver

American publisher : Scholastic Press : 17,99$

English publisher : Scholastic : 6,99£

The pack circled around me, tongues and teeth and growls.

When a local boy is killed by wolves, Grace's small town becomes a place of fear and suspicion. But Grace can't help being fascinated by the pack, and by one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. There's something about him - something almost human.

Then she meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away...

What I think

I was attracted by this book, the cover (sooooooo beautiful), the font type of the chapters and pages, just like the cover and the story.

I started Shiver with great interest and anticipation. A good love story like I love. A girl, a werewolf. What's not to like?

But there, the book is 400 pages long, and not a lot of action. Nothing we can't see coming. So we can say that it's long. I really liked it, but the only interest is the love story and how it will end. Some mysteries are approached, but not answered. Nothing transcendent.

*** SPOILERS***

When she was little, Grace was atacked by werewolves, and to everyone's surprise she never transformed. Sam saved her from certain death, then he came back every winter as a wolf to see her. One day, Jack, a local boy is killed by wolves. People went to hunt them, and when she came home, Grace discovered a bleeding boy on her porch, Sam. He received a bullett. Love story. Sam has not enough time anymore. Next time he changes, he won't ever come back to human form. But there should be a cure?

*** End of SPOILERS***

The end is not surprising, we're waiting for it, but I must admit that I was afraid all the same that Sam was really dead. Ah ah ah I can't say anymore. Well anyway you couldn't understand without reading the book.

Grace sometimes got on my nerves, Sam too. But I think it's because of the too great number of pages. It could have been cut a lot : I kiss you, I want you to kiss me, I love you, I can't live without you, blah blah blah. There's too much of it.

It would have been a lot better if it was shorter or with a better plot.

But anyway, Sam **sigh**!!! A really beautiful 18-year-old guy, with yellow eyes, hmmmmm!! (And I don't want to hear about MY age please!)

I will read the sequel, Linger, because I read the back cover, and oh my God, I want to know!

No comments: