Friday, April 23, 2010

Moon called - Patricia Briggs

****

Genre : Urban Fantasy

Series : Mercy Thompson : Moon Called

American publisher : Ace Fantasy : 7,99$

English publisher : Orbit : 7,99£

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

What I think

I received Moon Called as a gift. At first I had some déjà-vu feelings, because I had read the two first books of Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong, which talks about werewolves too, with Elena who is the only female werewolf. Here, Mercy Thompson is the last of an indian tribe who were shapershifter and could change into coyote.

Mercy was raised by werewolves, by the Marrok. The Marrok is the Alpha of all Alphas in North America. But when she turned 16, Mercy had to leave the pack and settles in the Tri-Cities, just next to the Alpha of the local pack, Adam. When Adam is attacked in his house, and his daughter is abducted, Mercy doesn't trust his pack and brings him to the Marrok to be healed. She will help Adam looking for Jesse and discover what's happening.

Compared to Bitten, we find here another aspect of the werewolves, especially their hierarchy and their interactions between dominant and submissive wolves. The passages when dominant wolves are in situation of defense of their territory are numerous, and from an ethnologic (If I may say) point of view, it is very interesting. Werewolves are machos and overbearing, but there are women too, but they don't have the same privileges as men. They can reproduce, but not without a lot of problem, because a female werewolf can't generally carry a child to the end because of the Change when the moon is full. I need to precise that werewolves don't need a full moon to change, but it can be hard to resist its call.

I can't explain here all the characteristics of werewolves, but this book is really good, the plot holds water to the end, and Mercy is fantastic. A young witty woman, with a good sense of humor, who manage to evolve surrounded by men who think she belongs to them.

She's also friend with a vampire, Stefan. She's mending his Scooby-Doo bus. I'd like to know more about Stefan, who's not well developped here, but I think we'll have some surprises later.

In Mercy's world, there are also a lot of other characters, a russian witch who specialized in cleaning, a Gremlin mechanic who trained Mercy and sold her his garage.

Finally, there are some resemblances with Kelley Armstrong's series, but I plunged in Mercy Thompson easily, and I forgor rapidly all my older references.

As you know, I'm barely unaware of the male characters in the books I read. I must admit there is a charming werewolf, Samuel, whom Mercy likes a lot, because he's the one she left the Marrok pack for. But her heart seems to balance between Samuel and Adam, the Alpha. Even if she doesn't belong to any pack, you can easily imagine the tension between those two...

No comments: