Sunday, August 2, 2009

City of bones - Cassandra Clare

Cassandra Clare's bio- and bibliography

***

Genre :
Young adults - Fantasy

Series : The Mortal Instruments : City of bones; City of ashes; City of glass

French title : La cité des ténèbres : La coupe mortelle

American publisher : Simon Pulse : 9.99$US; 11.50$CAN

English publisher : Walker Books : 7.99£

French publisher : Pocket jeunesse : 19,50€

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly espects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.
Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters : a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon.
But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

What I think

Well I don't really know I can let some pearls like this one sleep on my bookshelves for months. I think it is something like a year since I bought City of Bones. Recently I was saying that I wouldn't read first in a series for a while, and then I start a trilogy. I felt it when I chose this book, because fortunately, the second was out, and the third too...Yipee, I won't have to wait for a year to have the sequel! I'm saved. And really, I couldn't have waited. I read this first book quite fast, et I love the characters, especially Jace, who reminds me a little of a certain Edward, with his I-know-i'm-the-best-the-most-beautiful-no one-can-resist-me attitude. I can tell you that I fell in love with him, comme d'habitude;o) And not only me by the way, because the heroin, Clary, too. Between demon hunting and the quest for The Mortal Cup to finds her mothers, who was kidnapped by Valentine, Clary and Jace become very close. Ah I love this kind of story, the ones that make you dream;o)

But hey that's not so simple, we're going from revelation to revelation all along of this first book in a trilogy very promising, and that's the bomb, I saw it coming, but I can't believe it, no, it's absolutely not possible, no one can do this to...ME! Well unfortunately, yes they can, and it's a shock, I swear.
I was ready to throw the book in the wall. I knew it, but hey, no! Well I'm going to tell you some secrets, but beware. If you don't want to know, just skip this paragraph. But I have to talk about it, because it is sooooo frustrating, and you know how it is, don't you? Here it goes, the thing is that on the one side we have Clary, her mother has disappeared, she thinks her dad's dead before she was born. But now she discovers that her mom was a Shadowhunter, and that she was married to Valentine who turned out bad. On the other side, we have Jace who thinks he lost his mom when he was a baby, and who sees his father killed when he was 10. But now, his dad returns. He's not dead, it was a false death, and his dad is...Valentine. You follow me? Of course his mom was Jocelyn, Clary's mothre. It's a tragedy. Clary and Jace are brother and sister. OH MY GOD! Now you understand why I couldn't keep this to myself!

So don't worry, there aren't only love stories and weird family trees in this book, well a lot, ok, but not only. There's a background of very bad demons, werewolves, with one who was a Shadowhunter before, gay warlocks, vampires who drive demon-flying motorcycles, and other things...

I read other chronicles about City of Bones, and I found some comparison with two other famous sagas, Harry Potter and Twilight. And Cassandra Clare is one of HP's biggest fan and has become famous with her fan-fictions about HP's world. But honestly, I think this comparison is too easy. I can't see the resemblances. Except maybe for Jace, as I said who made me think of Edward in a way, but it stops right here. Cassandra Clare has succeded in creating her own world, et it's really worth reading. So do not hesitate anymore, just read it!

I just hope there will be a turn over, an unexpected revelation which would set up the problem between Clary and Jace. I must admit that it was something someone had to dare writing, but Cassandra Clare didn't think about her readers, I'm sure I'm not the only one to be frustrated like that;o)

Why are vampires always beautiful?

" Another vampire pushed her way through the crowd to stand at his side - a pretty blue-haired Asian girl in a silver foil skirt. Clary wondered if there were any ugly vampires, or maybe any fat one. Maybe they didn't make vampires out of ugly people. Or maybe ugly people just didn't want to live forever."

No comments: