Sunday, August 2, 2009

City of glass - Cassandra Clare

Genre : Young Adults, Fantasy

Series : The Mortal Instruments : City of bones; City of ashes; City of glass

French title : La cité des ténèbres : ?

American publisher : Margaret K. McElderry Books: 17.99$US; 19.99$CAN

English publisher : Walker Books : 7.99£

French publisher : Pocket jeunesse

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhuntres - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

What I think

I must admit that this series is a big favorite of mine. We can say that Cassndra Clare knows how to keep her readers alert, and she does all she can to do that. She created a whole magical and original world, using myths that already existed, and myths she created. She used the myth of werewolves, vampires, faes, but at the same time, she created the Shadowhunters, the demons slayers, with their places and their hierarchy. We discover in this third book Idris, the country of the Shadowhunters, you can't find it on any map, it's between France and Germany, approximately. You didn't know? Next time I cross the frontier, I'll pay attention;o)
In Idris, there is Alicante, the City of Glass. This city is protected by wards to keep demons out. But Valentine found a way, and it was quite a while ago. Now he's looking for the last of the Mortal Instruments, the Glass Mirror.

***SPOILERS***

Clary has to leave for Idris to find Ragnor Fell, a warlock who can help her to save her mom. But Jace doesn't things her way. He doesn't want The Clave to know about her power to create new runes. And he finds a way to keep her away. But because of an attack of Forsaken, he has to take Simon with him. Clary uses her power to open a portal and goes to Idris, but things get complicated. Luke comes with her, but they have to keep hidden, because death awaits all who trespass the limits of Idris without a permission. Clary just doesn't care and goes see Jace, Isabelle and Alec. But Jace doesn't welcome her very well. She decides to find Ragnor Fell by herself, but she finds an ally, Sebastian, a Shadowhunter. But when Sebastian kisses her, Clary feels something's wrong.

When they find Ragnor Fell, she finds Magnus Bane in his place, who was alerted. Ragnor Fell was killed by something demon-smelling, and Magnus asks Clary to find the Book of White, a warlock book who contains the spell that will save her mom. But she needs help, Jace's help who accepts. When they arrive in the manor where he grew up, they discover Ithuriel, an angel emprisoned by Valentine. He gives them visions to make them understand Valentine experiments and Jace learns that demon's blood runs in his veins.

When they come back to the Alicante, the city is in flame. A battle is taking place. The towers that protected the city are destroyed and demons are all over the place. In the Penhallows Manor, chaos reigns too. When all is finished, we discover that Max, Isabelle and Alec's little brother is dead, killed by Sebastian, who is not Sebastian, but a spy for Valentine.

The werewolves fought alongside the Shadowhunters, but the Council disagrees. Then Valentine launch an ultimatum to The Clave. Whether they accept Valentine's reign upon Idris, or they all die. Luke tries to convince The Clace to accept the help of Downworlders, not only werewolves, but warlocks, fae, vampires, he just wants a siege for each of the families in the Council.

Clary, Jace, Isabelle and Alec leave to free Simon, who was imprisoned by the new Inquisitor. At the same time, they free the man who was in the cell next to Simon's. This man is Hodge, but Sebastian kills him before he can talk.

While Jace is after Valentine to kill him, Jocelyn, Clary's mother, comes back and tells everything to her daughter from the begining. Jace is not her brother, and he's not a demon either. Sebastian is her brother and the demon, even though his name's not Sebastian, but Jonathan.

Clary manages to convince The Clave to fight with Downworlders, thanks to a ruine she created, an alliance rune. Then, Shadowhunters and Downworlders who will fight in couple will share their powers. Only the vampires refuse to join the fight unless they have Simon in exchange, but Simon accept.

Clary is underage so she can't fight. She has to stay in Alicante, but she's attacked, and escapes through the Portal. She finds herself near Lake Lynn, where Valentine is preparing the ritual to call the Angel Raziel, who does one thing for his caller. But Clary plays well, and Raziel kills Valentine, but not before he kills Jace who came after killing Sebastian.

Raziel asks Clary, who opened the door, what she wants, and she only says one word : JACE.

***END OF SPOILERS***

I've just written a very detailed résumé. But hey all's well that ends well. So I was saying that Cassandra Clare created a whole new world, and at the same time very charismatic characters. Valentine is a monster, but I can't really hate him, because in a way he doesn't know it. There aren't any unimportant characters in this series, each one of them has a role to play, and all these plots that mingle only add to the quality of the series.

The only reproach I have to make is that Cassandra Clare gives us too obvious clues, about the relationship between Clary and Jace especially. Obvious clues, but Clary and Jace don't understand, while we readers understand easily. Then, when comes the moment of revelations, there's no surprise. That's a shame, but at the same time, it's good to say in the end "I KNEW IT!"

In this book, Clary and Jace are not reunited, they each go their own way, which finally bring them together. But all these mistaken identities are very stressful, but this is what we too like in a good book. Who would like a book where everything is fine from beginning to end?

Well, I'll stop here, because I really have a lot to say about this book, but I can't make all my ideas in a right order, so just to finish, I just want to tell you : Read this series, you can't be disappointed.

Just one last thing , I knew before that Jace and Clary couldn't possibly be siblings, but I had reached the point where I said to my mom that I didn't really care anymore. All I wanted was for them to be together, siblings or not.

I give you a passage to make you understand why I say this :

" I was trying to go...somewhere," Jace said. "But I kept getting pulled back here. I couldn't stop walking, couldn't stop thinking. About the first time I ever saw you, and how after that I couldn't forget you. I wanted to, but I couldn't stop myself. I forced Hodge to let me be the one who came to find you and bring you back to the Institute. And even back then, in that stupid coffee shop, when I saw you sitting on that couch with Simon, even then that felt wrong to me - I should have been the one sitting with you. The one who made you laugh like that. I couldn't get rid of that feeling. That it should have been me. And the more I knew you, the more I felt it - it had never been like that for me before. I'd always wanted a girl and then gotten to know her and not wanted her anymore, but with you the feeling just got stronger and stronger until that night when you showed up at Renwick's and I knew. "
And then to find out thaat the reason I felt like that - like you were some part of me I'd lost and never even knew I was missing until I saw you again - that the reason was that you were
my sister, it felt like some sort of cosmic joke. Like God was spitting on me. I don't even know for what - for thinking that I could actually get to have you, that I would deserve something like that, to be that happy. I couldn't imagine what it was I'd done that I was being punished for-"
"If you're being punished," Clary said, "then so am I. Because all those things you felt, I felt them too, but we can't - we have to stop feeling this way, because it's our only chance."
Jace's hands were tight at his sides. "Our only chance for what?"
" To be together at all. Because otherwise we can't ever be around each other, not even in the same room, and I can't stand that. I'd rather have you in my life even as a brother than not at all-"

No comments: